I run a small Espresso Coffee Grinder shack in the state of California. We plant, grind and brew our own coffee for supreme taste. Recently our coffee grinder that served for 12 hours daily for last 10 years retired and I was on a lookout for a replacement.
There were some key features like capacity, size and heating that I was particularly looking out for in a potential coffee grinder for our shop. I skimmed through some of them in electronic shops near my house but the one that caught my eye was Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Espresso Coffee Grinder. It checked all my boxes and while on a test run performed exceptionally. I straight off went onto Amazon.com and ordered one for myself.
It has been almost a year now since its installation, hence here is a comprehensive Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Review.
Amongst the most loved grinders in the current market, from the grinding burr to looks, Rancilio packs in a number of features. Throwing upon some light on the key one’s, here is the list:
- Weighs in at 15.7 pounds.
- 50mm burrs all commercial grade.
- Grind and filter; the machine grinds in the filter for operational ease.
- Can grind up to 7.7 lbs of coffee seeds in an hour’s time.
- Comes with a small cabinet to hold up to 0.5 lbs of beans for instant grind.
- 166-watt machine that runs powerfully in silence.
- Comes with a user manual with detailed guide.
- 8 x 4.7 x 13.8 inches
- Body is moulded out of stainless steel with nozzles and storage cabinets of hard plastic.
Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD grinder is highly automated and all of its functions work on the push of a button; requiring less human work. The mount is precisely designed for perfect placement of the basket. For small coffee shops like mine with few employees, a coffee grinder that doesn’t rely heavily on humans in a must.
- All off Rancilio grinders are tested with coffee seeds before delivery for customer satisfaction and defect detection.
- The stainless steel body accounts for a lighter body and sleek design that works like a chameleon with any background from kitchen to shop.
- The silent machine grinding is extremely useful for home or commercial usage. The motor noise of grinders can annoy your neighbours after few days especially when they run for hours.
- A cabinet dedicated to hold beans for immediate grinding is also very beneficial for moments when you run out and need an instant caffeine hit.
- There are no dosers which is good, the coffee is grinded directly into the portafilter and instantly collected in the basket.
- The grinding are much finer and smoother coffee is delivered when compared to a lot of other grinders in the market.
- Calibrating the device is also not very difficult. Just move the dial and it will be adjusted. Also, the machine comes auto calibrated to zero.
- When using oily coffee seeds the grinder will jam. Oily seeds are not Ranchilio’s SD grinder jam. Even if your seeds are slightly oily the grinder will not work. For better results you are forced to use dry coffee seeds.
- In case you drop this thing, it will die. The machine is an amalgamation of stainless steel and plastic which is a poor example of strong body. A drop and the motors would start firing and plastics will pick cracks.
- Cleaning is an inevitable task. For optimal application of this machine, you’ll need to clean it thoroughly. Minute particles and flakes of coffee is made residue after constant grinding. If not cleaned may cause trouble in the next grind.
An Italian company, Rancilio expertise in manufacturing espresso machines. When I did my background check I discovered they have been “Coffeeing the World” since 1927 with the purpose of expanding the Italian coffee culture around the globe. Major stakes of the company is now owned by Ali Group, one of the largest equipment dealers worldwide.
Their years of experience and pioneer ship assisted me during the final minutes of the product selection.
The product has a 4 star rating on Amazon.com with more than 250 comments of happy and sad customers.
Apparently, what excites the customers is a silent motor, apt pricing and overall design of the product. The troublesome part is the burr breaking after few weeks of usage and the delivery system being incompetent.
Issues with the delivery system have been quiet persistent. Numerous customers complain that although the grinding is exceptional, the beans delivery is not arranged systematically.
My colleague at work also consider about the amount of cleaning he needs to do every time before starting a new grind, alot.
Not everything is made perfect, every grinder you choose is going to have issues you’ll witness in the long run. The Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Espresso Coffee Grinder
is reliable, bang for buck and highly human friendly. It is designed specially for home users and small businesses like mine.
The grinding is commendable, there is not even a stain of seed left post grind and the end result is an aromatic delicious cup of coffee. I would insist coffee enthusiasts who love homemade coffee to give this machine a try.
This was all you needed to know about Rancilio HSD-ROC-SD Espresso Coffee Grinder
. Choose your product carefully and do thorough research before buying.