How to Perfectly Clean and Unclog a Kitchen Sink
The Various Ways to Prevent Clogging of Kitchen Sinks
The kitchen sink is the place of a kitchen that got frequently used. It is used for washing dishes, washing vegetables and a lot more things. After the dishes are done, people often forget to clean the sink. The sink can become home to so many bacteria and germs and cause long-term illness. Proper cleanliness of kitchen skin is an extremely important step that should not be avoided. The various steps involved in cleaning the kitchen sink are scrubbing, sanitizing, polishing, Use of hydrogen peroxide, use of baking soda, and lemon and there are so many easy ways to keep your kitchen sink clean and free from any germs and bacteria.
The most common problem that people usually face with the kitchen is clogging of the sink. It is extremely necessary to know how to unclog a kitchen sink because every time we can’t call a plumber to fix the problem. And one should know the various ways to prevent clogging of kitchen sinks.
Let us first discuss how to clean your kitchen sink perfectly:
- Kitchen sinks can be cleaned by doing scrubbing the sink to remove any stains from it. Scrubbing can be done by using baking soda on surfaces that are made up of stainless steel.
- The next step is to sanitize your sink using warm water and a little bit of bleach. Bleach acts as a natural cleansing agent and prevents the sink from any harmful bacteria.
- Vinegar can also be used to get rid of the lime spots and it can also help in disinfecting the kitchen.
- Flour can be used to polish the surface of the sink.
- First, dry out your sink and use a clean towel and slowly buff around the stainless steel in a circular motion and then remove the excess flour and throw it away.
- Spraying the sink with hydrogen peroxide can help you in removing some stubborn stains as hydrogen peroxide has bleaching properties.
- Baking soda can also be used to remove stains.
- Lemon oil can be used to polish the surface of the sink. Just put 3-4 drops of lemon oil onto a dry cloth and wipe it around the sink.
- There are a few tips that you should follow regularly to keep your kitchen sink clean and healthy. these are: washing your dishes regularly, pour hot water down the sink after washing the dishes, use a disinfectant spray and keep your drain free from clogs.
Let us discuss how to deal with the problem of sink clogging and how to prevent it.
- Boiling water: The first and foremost method that you should try to unclog the drain is to pour the hot water inside the sink after removing the excess water from it. Repeat these steps a couple of times to see if it is working or not.
- Disposal: Check out the garbage disposal area and then run it in order to check whether it can clear the clog.
- Using boiled water and mixing salt in it: The next method that you can try to unclog your sink is to pour a table salt in a quantity of half cup in the drain after removing excess water from it. Allow it to settle down for some time, then you can flush it with boiling water.
- Using baking soda along with vinegar: You can also use baking soda along with vinegar to unclog the sink. After the removal of the excess water from the sink, you simply need to put about a single cup of baking soda inside the drain. Then in the next step, you have to add the same among or apple cider vinegar into it. After adding these two things, you will observe that the mixture will start to bubble and after some time it will subside. Put a stopper inside it and then wait for around 15 minutes. Pour hot water into it to check the clog and repeat the process if needed.
- Using baking soda along with salt: You can use baking soda and salt to unclog the sink. After the removal of the excess water from the sink, add a mixture of salt in a half a cup and baking soda, then you need to pour it in the sink. Let it settle down by taking a few hours and then flush it with boiling water. Repeat the process if needed.
- Plunger: If the above-mentioned steps are unsuccessful in unclogging the sink. Then you can take the help of a plunger. If your kitchen is installed with a double sink, you need to seal the second side of your sink with a wet cloth. Put the plunger strongly on the drain and start plunging several times. After the removal of the clog, you can drain off the sink with hot boiling water.
- P-trap: The next step is to clean the P- the trap of your kitchen sink. It is located on the drain pipe’s curve beneath the sink, which is usually inside the cabinet. Remove the pipe from the P-trap and put a bucket inside the drain to collect any amount of debris along with water that can fall. It is important to clean all the objects that got stuck at the P-tarp and then you need to replace and pass them through the water.
- Plumber’s snake: The next helpful tool that is used to unclog the kitchen sink is the plumber’s snake. It is also known as an auger and is a handy tool that can easily clean clogs that got stuck down in the system. Firstly, you need to disassemble the drainpipe along with the P-trap which exposes the “stub out”. Then insert the plumber’s snake inside the pipe to break down the clog.
- Coat hanger: Another magical tool that can be very helpful in removing the clog is a coat hanger. You can utilize the coat hanger if you don’t have a plumber’s snake. Just straighten the coat wire hanger and try to break down the clog in the same way as we have discussed with the plumber’s snake.
These are some of the best methods you will be able to clean your kitchen skin perfectly.