Last Sunday I invited all my friends over for a barbecue party. Everything was perfect until this old friend of mine comes to me saying the barbeque isn’t cooked well. I mean I don’t consider myself the perfect griller but come on! Anyways I let it go; the barbecue parties can go out of hand sometimes.
Later while surfing the net looking for ways to make better barbecue, I discovered Lump Charcoal. Alongside other benefits, I Learned that it burnt better and at a higher temperature, key to better grilling results. So, I looked for the top Lump Charcoals for my next party. Here are my picks for the same.
Fogo Super Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal
Topping the list is Fogo Lump Charcoal. Why? It not only has been critiqued by more than 650 individuals but has pretty good ratings on Amazon too. Little bit of googling informed me that Fogo actually handpicks Lump Charcoal for each of its bags; reassuring quality for me.
- Restaurant quality hardwood.
- No extra fillers, pure hardwood lump charcoal.
- Lights quickly
- No sparking.
- The hardwood lights fast and with ease.
- The selected wood pieces really brings out the best flavours in food.
- The Fogo lump charcoal fits right in the budget and furnishes a tough competition to other brands.
- The pieces are large. Unlike many manufactures Fogo promises large lump charcoal pieces and delivers exactly.
- The burning is smooth, without any sparks and lasts longer.
- Sometimes the hardwood can take a little longer to light up. Especially if you compare it with other briquettes.
- It also takes longer to reach to a higher temperature. Some might say that it’s good for flavour but when in instant need it can be a little annoying.
- With Fogo’s lump charcoal there have been complaints about black smoke emerging after ever refill.
2. Jealous Devil All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal
It’s time your neighbours burn with jealousy over your tasty grilled food. Seriously, the branding is what attracted me in an instance. The 35 lbs bag of “devil” lump charcoal is ideal for picnics and family trips.
The brand follows the traditional pick and cut method to bring authenticity into each bag of Jealous Devil lump Charcoal.
- Made without scrape wood, fillers or chemicals.
- 25% – 30% more heating in less pieces when compared to other lump charcoal.
- Heavy duty bag that won’t tear, containing maximum charcoal and no dust.
- Restaurant quality product with no sparks or smoke.
- Promises easy clean up.
- Over 7000 Cal/g of cooking power.
- It’s ability to burn longer with less wood saves a lot of refueling time and makes the grilling process a little more jolly.
- The bag can be carried around. Planning a party in the green? just throw the Jealous Devil lump charcoal in the trunk of your car and ride along.
- Burs hot thus cooks fast.
- Can be a little tidy to clean after use.
- The price can be a concerning factor.
3. Royal Oak Lump Charcoal
The Royal Oak was recommended by a friend who has been using the brand for all his lump charcoal needs for months now. In comparison to others, packaging is small and fits with your weekend needs. Not only the name but the price is royally high too.
- Total weight of 15.44 pounds.
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Burns for a considerable amount of time.
- Made from oak, hickory, maple and walnut hardwoods
- Works with all kinds of grills ceramic or kamado.
- The product burns for longer without any difficulties.
- The wood flavouring is also very appealing.
- The lump charcoal are large.
- The small packaging makes the bag accounts for more mobility.
- The price is higher for a lesser quantity.
- There are stuffing like rocks and wood in the bag which can be really disappointing for the amount of money charged.
- Towards the end there are really small pieces.
- If you use it consistently you’ll need to buy a new bag every other week.
4. Big Green Egg Natural Lump Charcoal
An American made durable Lump Charcoal that works with any grill. Optimum quantity that would last you weeks in best price. At first it feels like the charges were too high for the product but the overall quality is what made me add it to my top 5 list.
- A heavy 20 pounds will last you more than many lump charcoal in the market.
- Made with carbonated wood.
- Free from fillers, nitrates, chemicals, anthracite coal, limestone, treated wood or petroleum products.
- Burns in less than 10 minutes.
- The carbonated wood stretches the burning capacity of each wood.
- Spark free.
- Easy to use packaging.
- A trusted brand in the lump charcoal making category so trust comes alongside.
- Can come off as overcharged since there are fairly competitive brands in the same price range.
- There are crumbs and ashes discovered towards the end of the pack i.e the last few hardwoods are more it less useless.
- The bag is heavy.
5. Kamado Joe Hardwood Lump Charcoal
isn’t an end to this list without mentioning the Kamado Joe lump charcoal. I
was confused with this and Royal Oak for my top 2. Everything about the product
is perfect; packaging or the quantity. The only flip side is its pricing.
- 20 pounds of Hardwood lump charcoal.
- 100% Natural wood.
- Lightweight and quick to light
- Robust wood – fire flavour.
- Burns long and hot throughout.
- Quality assured wood.
- A lot of large wood pieces
- Packaging is commendable. Looks professional.
- Easy to clean after use.
- The Flavour brings essence into the food.
- The product is pricy. There are numerous local options to choose from.
- Towards the end there are a lot of small rocks and hardwood pieces which makes the box useless. You’ll have to buy a new box way before this one ends.
- Sometimes fills the air with smoke. Using it near a house is not preferable.
Things to Consider before buying Lump Charcoal
If you haven’t found any of the above mentioned options helpful, here is a list of things you need to be careful about before making a purchase for lump charcoal, online or otherwise.
- It should work on all kind of grills.
You should buy lump charcoals that can easily burn in any kind of grill. Many reasons from planning to change your grill to lending your leftover lump charcoal can be considered. This is also important if you are not a regular griller.
2. Large Woods.
The pack should have large woods. It is textbook to understand that the larger the woods the longer they burn. A good quality lump charcoal always has large hardwood pieces.
If the lump charcoal isn’t instrumented from authentic hardwood they will burn out fast and produce sparks on their way. You would like to avoid this especially at family gatherings and parties.
There are a lot of brands in the market right now with varied prices and promises. Go with a know more reliable brand that quotes just the right price.
Consider factors like how long does the lump charcoal lasts? How long does it take for the hardwood to burn at the highest temperature? For how long does it burn on the highest temperature.
A miss choosing the right flavour and the entire lump charcoal pack could go in vein.
Packaging also plays a vital role. The better the lump charcoals are packed the longer they last. Plus, things like zip and quality of material used to piece together the package makes using the hardwood much easier.
8. How often do you need it?
Yes, not to do entirely with lump charcoals but choosing quantity is co depended on how often will you be using the hardwood. It is unnecessary to buy an XL lump charcoal unless you are not a daily user.
Things To Avoid While Buying Lump Charcoal
There are certain things we need to avoid if acquiring the best quality lump charcoals is our motive.
- Doesn’t have to be branded.
It is not a compulsion that you buy from the big brands only. A Lot of times their prices are high without any good quality. Do your research and go for a durable and trusted brand that offers the right price.
2. Why you want it?
Lump Charcoals burn hot and fast and their primary goal is to provide good grilled food in less time. Hence, go with the fastest burning hardwood.
Overall, it is completely upon your usage and flexibility to select a brand. You can also experiment with various lump charcoal brands and ultimately choose the one that fits your grill. Yes, it might sound a little taxing but ultimately it will give you a better satisfaction over your choice. Don’t hustle or listen to your peers and make an impulsive decision. Consider all the mentioned criteria before buying yourself some hardwood. The narrowed 5 are amongst the most trusted one’s in the market, so just pick one and start cooking.